Financial Services exists to provide ethical and quality service to its internal and external customers in an accurate and timely manner. This is accomplished by open communication, being flexible and innovative, and working together for the betterment of the city.
The department is made up of two divisions:
- General Finance and Accounting
- Utility Billing
General Finance & Accounting
- Coordinates accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed asset maintenance, and financial statements preparation
- Responsible for collecting, recording, summarizing, and reporting the results of all financial transactions within the city's operations, including the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- Manages the city's cash, debt, and investments
- Monitors projects, collect, and, when possible, enhances current and new revenue sources.
- Prepares, coordinates, and monitors the city's Operating and Capital Improvement (CIP) budgets.
- Works in conjunction with the Wise County Appraisal District (WCAD) and performs various analyses as needed
- Answers inquiries from customers
- Collects water, wastewater, garbage, and electric fees, as well as water and electric meter reading and repair
- Encourages a positive attitude toward City Hall by newcomers, visitors, and residents through a pleasant first experience, whether it be by phone or in person
- Ensures accuracy and efficiency in the collection and assessment of user charges
- Maintains professional and responsive service
- Provides accurate and timely billings through progressive and innovative systems